Kimchi jjigae – kimchi stew is one of the most known Korean dishes and its deep flavor and spiciness are very distinctive. The meat, in this case pork (but also tuna or other fish can be used) add a slight fatty texture that are perfect match with its spiciness. We came up with a quite simple recipe to enjoy this stew at home. As many other stews of Korean cuisine, it is meant to be shared, so place the pot at the center of the table and take your individual portion :).
Ingredients for 2 servings
- cabbage kimchi 300 grams (0.7 pounds) aged at least 2-3 weeks
- 1/2 onion
- 1 green onion
- pork belly 100 grams (0.2 pounds)
- 1 ts gochugaru – chilli pepper flakes (add more if you like spicy)
- 1 ts saeujeot 새우젓 – salted fermented shrimps (can be replaced with 1 ts of fish sauce)
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 minced garlic clove
- sliced fresh green or red chili
for the broth we will use the water from washing the rice, around 500 ml (2 cups)
- Wash the rice. Filter and collect the water. We will use it as our broth
- Slice the pork belly.
- Pour water to the pot, add the pork belly and start cooking on medium fire.
- When broth starts boiling, add the kimchi
- After five minutes add all other ingredients and cook for additional five minutes
- Taste it and add salt or chilli flakes according to your taste
- Garnish with sliced chili and serve with steamed rice