Kongnamul gukbap (콩나물국밥) is a typical home food dish in Korea. This soothing and spicy but delicate soup, thanks for its nutritious characteristics it’s also a popular remedy against hangover. In the big cities there are restaurant specialized in this “hangover soup”.
Ingredients for 2 people
For the soup:
– 2 cups (250 grams) rice
– 1 green onion
– 1 ts fish sauce
– 1 and 1/2 cup (200 grams) soybean sprouts
– 4 cups (500 ml) water
– a pinch of salt
For the sauce (tadeghi – 다대기):
– 1 spoon fish sauce
– 1 minced garlic clove
– 1 spoon chili powder
– 1 small piece of roasted seaweed kim
– 1 ts sesame seeds
– 1 green chili pepper
Cook the steamed rice as explained here
- In a pot, pour 4 cups of water and bring to boil
- Chop the green onion and add the white part of it to the water, while set aside the green part. Add the beansprouts and let them cook for 10 minutes. We will use the broth too cook them further with the rice
- In another pot (we use a stone pot) place the rice and pour the beansprouts with broth.
- Add the remaining of the green onion, 1 ts of fish sauce, a pinch of salt and boil it for 5 more minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, we prepare the sauce (다대기) mixing fish sauce, minced garlic and chili powder.
- After 5 minutes, the soup is ready. Garnish with the sauce, sliced green peppers, sliced roasted seaweed and sesame seeds
If you want, you can add a raw egg to the soup to make it even more nutritious! We served the kongnamul gukbap with a radish kimchi as side dish.