Braised chicken with vegetables in soy sauce – Jjimdak 찜닭 – is a dish originated from the city of Andong and it has a deep, complex flavor with a mild spicy kick. A delicious dish with balanced flavors that has become very popular in Korea.
I have tried Jjimdak many times during my trips in Korea and I have been wanting to cook it for long time. Today we will cook it together. Let’s get started!
Ingredients for 3-4 people
- 1.8 pounds/800 grams or mixed chicken pieces (legs, breast, wings)
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 4.5 ounces/100 grams potato noodles
- 3 dried chillies
- 1 onion
- 2 button mushrooms
- 1 green onion
- 1 spoon of roasted sesame seeds
for the sauce:
- 1 and 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1 spoon of brown sugar
- 1 spoon of oyster sauce (can be replaced with 1/2 spoon of soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- 2 spoons of sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Bring 1,5 l (6 cups) of water in a pot and add the chicken pieces. In the meantime slice all the vegetables in similar sizes.
- Parboil the chicken for about a min and skim off any fat. Drain the water.
- In another big pot add the chicken, the sauce and set the heat to medium. Let it cook for 8-10 minutes with the lid on.
- Add potatoes, carrot, onion and chilli peppers. Let it cook for 5-7 with the lid on stirring gently occasionally.
- Add potato noodles, the green onion and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes stirring to have the potato noodles cooking.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve!