It’s almost lunch time here in Amsterdam so I decided to propose you a dish that I had the chance to try during a Korean event in Amstelveen last week and I will give you the recipe to try it at home.
The dish we will talk about is pumpkin and red beans porridge, a typical korean dish. In the traditional recipe, the main ingredient is squash but this ingredient cannot be easily found here in Europe, so Koreans usually replace it with butternut squash or sweet pumpkin. It is a very healthy dish and it’s perfect for cold winter days.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1/2 of a pumpkin or 3 butternut squash
- 1/2 cup sweet red beans
- 1 cup soaked rice (or rice cakes)
- 6 cups of water for the pumpkin
- 2 cups of water for the red beans
- wash and peel the pumpkin, then chop it
- in the mean time boil the red beans
- In a pot, add pumpkin, water and rice and cook for 30 mins and stir often.
- After 30 minutes the pumpkin will be mashed. At this point you can add the red beans
- Stir for 3 minutes at low temperature and and salt
- Serve hot!
I hope you enjoy the recipe and stay tuned!