Autumn and winter are squash seasons and in Korea this porridge if often prepared at home. For this recipe we use a kind of pumpkin that is a bit different from the ones found in Korea, but the result is delicious anyway. You can use other kinds of squash like butternut squash for example.
We will also prepare rice balls with sweet rice flour and add them to the porridge.
Ingredients for 4 people
– 1 pumpkin
– 2 cups of sweet rice flour (1 for the porridge and 1 for the rice bowl)
– 1 tbs of cinnamon powder
– 1 tbs salt
– 2 tbs red beans (soak them in water overnight if you will use the dried ones)
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds using a spoon
- Slice the pumpkin in cubes and peel them using a knife.
- Pour the cubes in a big pan and add 3 cups of water. Add the red beans and cook for 20-25 min.
- Use a food processor to make the porridge smoother and add some water if is too thick
- Add 1 cup of sweet rice flour, the salt and the cinnamon and stir with a wooden spoon
To prepare the rice balls
- Sift 1 cup of sweet rice flour, add a pinch of salt and pour 1/2 cup of warm water. Mix it with a wooden spoon and then use the hands to knead the dough. If necessary add a bit of powder or water.
- Make a roll and cut small pieces (around half inch) and make small balls
When the porridge starts boiling add the rice balls and let it cook for few more minutes. Garnish with pine nuts and enjoy!