Gamja jorim (braised potatoes) is a very common side dish both in Korean restaurants and households and it’s easy to prepare and very tasty.
First we will need the following ingredients (for 2-3 people):
- (18 oz) 500 grams of tender but firm potatoes – middle size
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 ts sesame oil
- 1/2 ts sugar
- 1 spoon corn or agave syrup
- 1/2 spring onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup of water
- Wash all the vegetables and peel the potatoes
- Chop the potatoes in chunks of about 2 cm (0.8 inches) side.
- Rinse them under running water to remove the excess of starch
- Chop the garlic, and slice the onion and 1/2 spring onion thinly
- Pre-heat a wide frying pan over medium heat and pour 1 spoon of frying oil
- Add the potato cubes and cook for about 5 minutes, until they will be half cooked
- Add the chopped garlic, the sliced onion and green onion. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, the soy sauce and the syrup. Pour the water and let it cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce become thicker and the potatoes are cooked throughly. Stir periodically to make sure potatoes doesn’t stick to the pan. Add more water if needed.
- When the potatoes will be cooked, turn the stove off and sprinkle with sesame seeds and add 1 ts sesame oil.
- Serve on a plate or bowl
Gamja Jorim is a sweet and salty side dish, perfect to accompany rice, vegetables, meat and fish dishes.