Fish cakes soup is a common food in Korea and it’s an easy and delicious dish. The fishcakes (eomuk – 어묵 in korean o odeng 오뎅 from japanese) are originally from Japan but quickly became popular in Korea and China as well.
Eomuk guk – Ingredients for 2 people
- 200 grams (7 oz) of fish cakes of any shape your prefer. We used a mix of different shape fish cakes.
- 1 tbs of soy sauce
- 1 green onion (green part) – we will use the white part for the broth
- 2 browns champignon mushrooms
- 50 grams (2 oz) enoki mushrooms
- 1 fresh red chilli pepper
- a pinch of pepper
- a bunch of rucola (for decoration)
- wooden skewers
- 1.2 l (6 cups) of water
- 1 small piece of kelp
- 1 tbs of dried anchovies (can be replaced with 1 tbs of fish sauce)
- 1 green onion (the white part)
- 1 sliced radish
- 1 clove of garlic
- Let’s start preparing the broth by bringing the water to boil. Add ingredients for broth, reduce heat and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime we make the fish cakes skewers
- Slice the green onion (the green part), the red chilli pepper and prepare the decoration with rucola
- After 40 minutes filter the broth and remove anchovies and the vegetables.
- Add enoki mushrooms, the champignon and the fish cakes skewers
- After 5 minuts cooking add pepper and garnish with rucola, sliced green onion and red chilli pepper
- Place the pot at the center of the table and use a serve the soup in small bowls.